From the Newburyport Daily (political advertizment) News;
· April 11, 2011
Port schools face staff cuts next year
· NEWBURYPORT — To plug an anticipated $600,000-$900,000 shortfall next year, school officials are planning to cut between 8.8 to 15 positions across the district. They range from the high school dean position to special education teachers, right down to kindergarten and elementary classroom teachers.
· But after laying out a plan to restore the schools to pre-2007 program levels, making cuts is not what Superintendent Marc Kerble wants to do. He'd rather the community rally behind the schools and support a Proposition 2 1/2 override — a property tax increase — and that's what he plans to tell the School Committee and residents tomorrow in Room #118 at Newburyport High School at 6:30 p.m.
· How ironic. The same problems exist, namely money, but a different face pushing yet another over ride attempt. Bringing the school program BACK four years will cost almost a million dollars? And then will it work? It did not four years ago, why now? Economics are not being taught or praticed in our schools, politics are though. They are PLANNING a shortfall for next year. That folks is illegal! after all we are not talking Snow Removal!
· For the ‘children’ is still the mantra. But who gets the cash? The children? They are not even getting the education in subjects they will need in their future! A new Mayor, and a new Superintendent and the same broken system. A one sheet song, Gimme More and more and politics will give you the right to do it all over again next year and next.
· How about paid parking at the High School and Paid Admission to the Stadium for free running dogs? At least the fertilizer would be free!
Sounds like a real Holiday wish! Just click your heels three times Dorothy………..and Mr. Kerble should expand his ‘community contacts’ to include community members that cannot afford to cough up more money to a promise of fixing something that runs on pure money anyway.
When is this Mayor's 'Management Style' going to place a non educated director in this Superintendent position to save money and use common sense in it's management just like she is doing with the DPS and Board/ Commission placements? After it's her Method Of Operation, isn't it? Look at how many positions she has created, and the cost, to run the city now. Less is more? More or less!
Let's look at the line items cost over the past several years. Especially labor and overtime. Increases the basic pay scale of what was approved by council when presented. Now let’s look at the political hirees. Hum....er, a correlation to spending patterns? U Bet! Even a relationship with astronomical attorney fees! Got to take care of fellow lawyers.
Speaking of the 'Community Rallying behind the Schools', just who does this collagen think has been paying the freight for the schools during their trial and fail era? The same people who cannot afford to pay their mortgages due to the exasperated needs of the Politian’s who misguidedly have backed programs that have left Newburyport in the path of some substantial capital improvement costs over maintaining our infrastructure and investment. Poll the 25 people who came out for this Mayors community meeting last month. Great community involvement and/ or interest in the items projected by Dona! Parking, Dog Poop, Free Water and Sewer for the wishes of Dona! Now, her presentation of yet another over ride attempt! Good grief! What an education will not get you these days!
You would be reading this in the Daily Snooze, but they block my posting of comments. An agreement with the Mayor or something like that I'm told! As an ex' city hall insider, they call my opinions and observations SLANDER.....go figure!